David Boaz from the Cato Institute has written up a great summary of all the tax hikes proposed by President Obama and his Administration.
- Raise the top income tax rates from their current 33 percent and 35 percent rates to 36 percent and 39.6 percent in 2011
- Limit itemized deductions for people paying high rates
- Increase capital gains and dividend taxes by 33 percent for people paying high income tax rates
- Impose a value-added tax (VAT) on all goods and services
- Raise the Social Security tax by lifting the cap
- Raise a variety of business taxes by $353 billion over 10 years, including repeal of LIFO rules, restoring Superfund taxes, seven tax increases on energy companies, and more
- Tax employer-provided health benefits
- Implement a cap-and-trade system for emissions permits, the functional equivalent of a massive new tax
- Tax drivers on their mileage
And many, many more. As David Boaz notes, "together they illustrate the mindset of an administration and a Congress determined to extract as much money as they can from Americans rather than cut back on expenditures, which have doubled in about eight-and-a-half years."
Check out the full list at Cato@Liberty .
(Photo Credit: Herzogbr)