ATR ON TWITTERFOLLOW US
ATR Announces Debt Limit Spending Cut Pledge
As reported by Dick Morris in Newsmax, Americans for Tax Reform is calling on all lawmakers to take the Debt Limit Spending Cut Pledge, stating:
"I promise to my constituents not to vote for any expansion of the federal debt limit unless it is preceded or accompanied by significant cuts in federal spending."
ATR will be asking every member of the House of Representatives and Senate to make this promise to their constituents to signal they are serious about getting the federal fiscal house in order.
Some ideas for significant spending cuts include, but are not limited to:
1. Resurrect the "Byrd Commitee"
2. Give the public five days to read bills before a floor vote
3. Put every federal transaction and contract online in real time.
4. Term limit appropriators
5. Sitting Congressmen and Senators should not be able to name buildings or other monuments to themselves, and none should be named for them while they are still living.
6. Block grant eduction funding and welfare to the states.
7. Freeze the salary and benefit levels of federal employees.
8. Require all eligible federal employees to compete for their job with a private sector bidder.
9. Only hire one new federal employee for every two that retire from government employment.
10. Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act
11. Reform farm subsidies along the lines of the 1996 "Freedom to Farm" Act
12. Leave defense cuts on the table
13. Stop using "emergency" spending loopholes to get around budget rules
14. Freeze discretionary spending at FY 2008 levels.